Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Earth Day Musings


(Edna St. Vincent Millay)

Ah, spring, lovely spring! The trees are a-blooming, and I just bought a pot of pansies, deep purple with little yellow centers. I put them just outside the front door so I could smell their fragrance and generally admire their velvety splendor whenever I leave the house. 

On the occasion of this Earth Day, I am reminded that it was nearly a year ago that I decided to change my approach to making my books, and use only reclaimed and remnant leather. Instead of making life more difficult, as idealistic enthusiasms sometimes do, I found that it opened up a new world for me creatively as I happily whipped up ever more odd and eccentric journals -- it turns out that worn, overlooked leather and I go together. So in my efforts to be kinder to our dear Mother Earth,  I benefited, as well. I'm sure there's a moral in there somewhere.

And now, a poem for the season by Emily Dickinson:


A little Madness in the Spring

Is wholesome even for the King,
But God be with the Clown -
Who ponders this tremendous scene - 
this whole Experiment of Green - 
As if it were his own!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Earth Day to you. I share your love of Emily Dickenson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Earth Day to you, too, Valerie! I'm glad you love Emily Dickinson, too. She's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...